Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions from undergraduate students:

  1. Is a technical elective also considered a departmental elective? 
    • No.
  2. How do I register for Special Problems (180:491, 492, 493, 494) under Civil or Environmental Engineering? 
    • You need to have a research advisor and complete the Request for Approval to Enroll in Special Problems in Civil or Environmental Engineering form in the CEE Handbook. Please hand this form in to the department office when complete.
  3. Can a co-op or internship count for more than one technical elective?
    • No, the co-op can only count towards one technical elective, for 3 credits. 
  4. How do I find an internship?
    • Look for department career fairs and emails for opportunities to apply to internships. There are also 2 Mega-Career Fairs hosted by Rutgers University every year which students can attend to meet various civil & environmental engineering companies.
  5. Can I register for more than one senior design project/capstone?
    • Yes.
  6. Can I replace the science elective requirement with a technical elective?
    • No.
  7. Can I take a graduate course?
    • Yes, as long as the student's GPA is 3.0 or higher and the student has fulfilled all the pre-requisites for the graduate course.
  8. How can I join a civil engineering student organization?
    • Contact the program graduate director or stop by the department's office.
  9. How can I get involved with civil engineering research? 
    • Contact the civil engineering faculty or graduate students and provide them with your resume. Let them know that you are looking for an undergraduate research opportunity.
  10. What do I need to do if I want to pursue master’s degree in civil engineering?
    • Talk to the undergraduate director to get advice. Also speak to graduate students. To apply for graduate school, you need to have an interest in a specific area in civil engineering, have a 3.0 minimum GPA, and good GRE scores (GRE is waived if the GPA 3.2 or higher). 

Do not hesitate to contact us further if you have additional questions or concerns.