Degree Applicants

The  School of Graduate Studies lists its basic application requirements and deadlines here. In your personal statement, please explain discuss why you are interested in further study in Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Create a new applicant account to begin your application.

Nondegree Applicants

Nondegree applicants should submit all of the School of Graduate Studies basic application requirements in addition to a resume.


Formerly matriculated graduate school students who have not maintained continuous registration and intend on applying to the same program may apply for readmission. Complete and submit this form to your Program Director. Official notification will be received from the School of Graduate Studies. Note: Post-qualifying doctoral degree candidates are subject to a restoral fee.

Apply Now

1.  Application Material and Deadlines

Application Material

• Application material should include: an online application, GRE scores, TOEFL scores, official copy of transcripts, personal statement, and three letters of recommendation.

• The minimum GPA required for admissions into the master’s program is 3.0.

• The minimum combined (V&Q) GRE scores required for admission is 315. GRE scores should not be more than 4 years old.

• The minimum TOEFL score is 83 (IBT) or 7 (IELTS). TOEFL is not required if you have a bachelor or advanced degree from an accredited US program or if you have a bachelor or advanced degree from a recognized program in a country where the official language of instruction is English.

The GRE General test is required for PhD applicants, TOEFL scores are required for international applicants.

MS: The GRE General test is preferred for MS applicants, TOEFL scores are required for international applicants.


Fall semester: March 1st , February 1st (International Applicants)

Spring semester: November 1st , October 1st (International Applicants) Online applications and the application process guidelines can be found at the following the link:

All graduate courses are offered in the evening.

2.  Applicants with Bachelor's Degree in Majors other than Civil Engineering

• Applicants with a bachelor degree in engineering other than civil engineering may be granted conditional admission.

The admitted applicants will need to take the following required basic civil engineering courses:

1. Engineering mechanics (statics)

2. Mechanics of solids (180:243)

3. Fluid mechanics (180:387)

4. Soil mechanics(180:372)

In addition to the courses listed above, students may be required to take additional undergraduate courses in their area of specialization to satisfy pre-requisite requirements.

• Applicants with bachelor degree in non-engineering majors should have the following courses before they apply to the graduate program in civil engineering:

• 12 credits of calculus

• 6 credits of chemistry

• 6 credits of calculus-based physics

• 3 credits of computer programming

• 3 credits of engineering graphics or CAD

Applicants with bachelor degree in non-engineering majors who have the required math, physics, chemistry, computer programming, and CAD can apply to the graduate program. If granted admission, they have to take the required basic civil engineering courses and any additional courses needed in their area of specialization. Applicants who have taken the majority (2/3 or more) and earned C+ or higher can apply.

In some cases applicants with non-engineering degrees are advised to consider a bachelor degree option in civil engineering given the amount of pre-requisite credits required and professional licensing which may require a bachelor degree in civil engineering in some state jurisdictions.

All graduate courses are evening classes. Most undergraduate courses are day time classes.

3. Transfer of Credits

Students need to complete 12 credits in the graduate program in civil engineering before they request credit transfer. Upon completion of 12 credits of graduate level course work with grades of B or better, student can submit a transfer credit form. The form is available at

• Transfer of credit is allowed only for formal graduate level course work in civil engineering or specifically related to the student’s program of study in which grades of B or better were received.

• No credit may be transferred for thesis research work, course work done as independent study, or work in courses which were not graded. Grades of P, R, or S are eligible for transfer if equivalent to a grade of B or better and accompanied by a letter from the instructor of the course testifying to that equivalence.

• Credit is not normally transferred for courses taken more than six years prior to the application for transfer of credit. Appeals for waiver of this time limit may be made by the graduate director, in writing, with a statement verifying the current level of the student’s information on the subject or that the course material is still current.

• No more than the equivalent of one year of graduate course work may normally be transferred toward the Ph.D. (i.e., 24 credits). No more than 12 graduate credits may be transferred towards the MS degree from an outside institution.

• No more than 6 online graduate credits may be transferred to the MS degree.

• Quarter credits will be converted to semester credits by reducing the total by 1/3 (i.e., 9 quarter credits = 6 semester credits).

• Students who are already in the program and want to take a graduate course at another school, should get the approval of their advisor and the graduate director.